Tuesday, February 19, 2013

One Hit Down..

So, as you know from my last post I was entertaining the idea of becoming an event planner.

When I get an idea in my head, I waste absolutely NO time putting that thought into an action. 

I thought to myself, where do I even begin? Hello. NYC. There's only about a billion different ways I could go about this, but I really wanted to ease into it. It's not like this is lucrative (yet?!), so I didn't want to invest a lot of time and definitely not a lot of money (yeah I've got a kiddo in diapers, I hang on tight to my dollars).
There were a few different routes I took into consideration - make a Facebook page? hang up flyers? apply to already established event planning companies to get experience? I knew it had to be quick because hey, I've still got a full-time job that needs done. And then, that glorious light shined through - Craigslist. It's easy, it's free, and it gets TONS of hits every day.

So I started with a short, simple, easy post. In all honesty, I'm not really sure how this works and if there are legalities I need to be aware of or not. I didn't even know how I would want to bill people?! I knew one thing was for certain - I did not want people thinking I was a scam. If you meet someone in person, obviously chances are you're not a scam so naturally I put down a one hour initial consultation in person.

Fees. Yet again, I had no idea where I wanted to start. I know my worth, but unfortunately if I have no prior {professional} history to back that fact up in this arena, and there's hundreds of others who can. So I started with $100 as a deposit. Seems fair, right? (I hope, considering I have no idea what I could be getting myself into!)

So this was Saturday night (or Sunday? hell I can't even remember) and of course the next day I anxiously checked my email. Nothing. Nothing.. Nothing.... and still nothing. Eh, it was worth a shot right? It was free, didn't take much time, and mostly just an experiment to see if it would even work.

And then this morning a beautiful email came through. She had seen my post and was interested. She told me pretty much exactly what she was wanting and what her budget is. It's a lower budget, and definitely a tight timeline, but for what she's asking I think it can be done. I immediately started researching venues for what she was looking for. Yikes. This might be a slightly bigger challenge than I thought due to her budget and guest list not exactly performing a perfect balancing act, but again, I'm up for it! After about 25 minutes into it I realized, whoa girl - you aren't even hired yet! Before doing all the work, maybe you should wait until you get a confirmation. So I took a step back and here I am, releasing all of my bottled up excitement.

It really amazes me how someone can truly do whatever they want. All it takes is time and effort. This again, as stated probably more than enough, was just an experiment/test run but I must say I'm excited to see where it leads, if anywhere! So today I say, thank you Craigslist. You may not have done anything in the end, but you brought enough excitement to me to jump out of bed this morning and get my day going. I am NOT a morning person what-so-ever so that is a major feat in itself! I'm definitely anxious to see what the road ahead will bring. Maybe nothing, maybe just this one, or maybe even tons of business. Who knows?! It's an adventure that I hope can flourish! Stay tuned..

*Sidebar: Ha, after posting this I saw this advertisement on YouTube. Maybe I should intern! This seems like a good internship :)

No comments:

Post a Comment